Sunday 2 February 2014

Pressing Flowers.....

Molly Steele and her beautiful Banjo decorated with Dried Flowers
Pressed Flowers
Botanical Glass Frame available from Terrain
I think I must have been 5 when I got my first flower press for Christmas. I was totally amazed that you could squash and dry little flowers. I remember opening the press every day for weeks hoping my little dandelion flower would be flat, I also remember being disappointed that I couldn't press and dry ladybirds (weird child, although during my Photography degree I did later start collecting beetles, butterflies and moths .... but these remained intact).

My 2nd year photography degree exhibition was based upon the Victorian Language of flowers, and after a recent trip to the Flowers and World Views exhibition in Copenhagen I am again inspired.

If you are interested in giving Flower pressing and mounting a go, here is a great link to a how to article from a Pair and a Spare blog.

4 comments:

Meena said...

Just wanted to let you know that it's actually illegal to pick a large number of native flowers. Could you possibly warn your readers of that? Native wildflowers are very important to native wildlife. :)

Moon to Moon said...

Thanks for your comment Meena. i didn't mention wild flowers and although I appreciate your comment I am sure my readers are aware of this as I think it is pretty standard in most countries.

Anonymous said...

The story about trying to preserve ladybirds is really sweet.
We're all odd children, in our ways...

Milla said...

That banjo is adorable.